Sunday, April 19, 2015

Week 1: Two Cultures



         
        In CP Snow’s lecture, he explains that he believes it is the curricular of universities that create the separation of these two disciplines, art and science. I was not completely aware of this until I related this to my own experiences here at UCLA. Though UCLA is a very diverse campus, there is a very evident separation amongst the students. The most obvious being the distinct divide between north and south campus majors. We seem to be categorized and segregated according the subject of choice we are studying, whether it be the arts or the sciences. Due to this gap, stereotypes are created.


       I am currently a 2nd Biology major and I am also a part Greek life on campus. Stereotypically, one wouldn’t put these two together. Because I am in an organization such as greek life, people assume studies is not my first priority and I enjoy the party scene. When in reality, I have a good balance between my academics and social life. People seem to judge those in greek life without realizing the benefit one has from being a part of such an organization.

        After learning about this week’s topic, I will do my part to bridge the gap between these two cultures. Just as professor Vesna stated in her lecture, we tend to pick a side. It may be due to a bad teacher you had growing up or your interests in something just kept you from exploring the other. Growing up I was not very exposed to art as I feel that’s not a main focus of curriculum as it used to be. Though I did enjoy an art class I took my first year fall quarter here at UCLA my lack of exposure to the subject affected my interest in it. I can do my part while maintaining my studies in the sciences; while also stepping out of my comfort zone (south campus) and take a few art-based classes to not only break the stereotype but to also broaden my knowledge.




Works Cited:

Eger, John M. "Right Brain/Left Brain Thinking." The Huffington Post.   TheHuffingtonPost.com, n.d. Web. 17 Apr. 2015.

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York:
            Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.

Vesna, Victoria. "TwoCultures Part 1, 2 & 3." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 18 Apr. 2015.

Williams, Christopher M. "Academy EBriefings." A Dangerous Divide. N.p., 24 July       2009. Web. 18 Apr. 2015.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment